City of Johannesburg Relocates Fleurhof Hostel Residents as Demolition Paves Way for Housing Expansion

The City of Johannesburg has relocated residents from the deteriorating Fleurhof hostel as part of efforts to make way for the continued development of the Fleurhof Mega Housing Project.

Executive Mayor Cllr Dada Morero, alongside Member of the Mayoral Committee (MMC) for Human Settlements Cllr Mlungisi Mabaso, oversaw the evacuation and relocation process on Friday, May 22.

A total of 130 families who had been living in the hostel and in informal structures erected within the facility were moved to safer Fleurhof housing units where they will now be accommodated.

Following the relocation, the ageing and unsafe hostel is set to be demolished to clear the site for further housing development.
Mayor Morero said the City had profiled all residents in the area and confirmed that the relocated families are South African citizens.

“We profiled the entire area and found about 130 families who are South African citizens. We also found undocumented persons in the hostel, and the Department of Home Affairs, Johannesburg Metro Police Department and SAPS have been helpful in processing and removing them accordingly,” Morero said.

He emphasised that Fleurhof remains one of Johannesburg’s flagship mega housing projects aimed at addressing the city’s housing backlog and providing accommodation to qualifying beneficiaries.

“Some of the people being evacuated qualify for RDP houses and will receive the necessary support, while others who fall within rental stock will also be assisted. We have a responsibility to rejuvenate and protect the City of Johannesburg and ensure it grows into the city we want to see,” he added.

MMC Mabaso said the relocation was guided by a council resolution and forms part of plans to expand the Fleurhof development, which includes social housing, subsidised homes and affordable housing opportunities.

“As we demolish the hostel, we will initiate proper development to deal with the housing backlog. It was important to remove the hindrances so developers can continue building houses,” Mabaso said.

He noted that the City spent time engaging residents before the operation, which helped prevent resistance during the relocation process.

According to Mabaso, some individuals attempted to sell occupied spaces after relocation plans became known. However, the City intends to rely on its profiling data to prevent fraud and unlawful allocations.

“We are focusing on those we have already profiled. We will not deal with people who arrived recently merely to benefit from housing allocations,” he said.

During the operation, nine undocumented individuals were taken into the custody of the Department of Home Affairs by midday.

Mabaso also revealed that the hostel had become a hotspot for illegal activities, including operations linked to illegal mining.
“This facility was used by illegal miners. Some were aware that we were coming, but four individuals were apprehended by JMPD. We appreciate the continued efforts of law enforcement to protect residents and combat criminality within the facility,” he said.

The Fleurhof Mega Housing Project, located southwest of Johannesburg, is a public-private partnership between the City of Johannesburg and Calgro M3 aimed at creating an integrated and sustainable mixed-income community.

Initially planned to deliver 6,000 housing units, the project has since been expanded and is expected to provide more than 16,800 homes once completed, significantly contributing to efforts to address housing demand in Johannesburg.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *